- The Striper Challenge is the first leg of the TRIPLE CHALLENGE FISHING TOURNAMENT SERIES. The Series’ purpose is to promote competitive angling, good sportsmanship and the introduction of young fisherman to the sport.
Co-Purpose is to support the Shark Sense, Inc a 501c3 non-profit, charitable corporation.
- The tournament is open to any team of anglers fishing from a boat that agrees to abide by the rules of the competition. The Tournament Committee shall have the right to refuse or revoke entry or participation to any team, angler or vessel at it’s sole discretion and the any damages claimed by the team, captain or angler shall be limited to a refund of any entry fee paid.
- Team Entry Fee is $350.00 per team minus any discount coupon that is properly presented at the time of entry through midnight on Wednesday, May 15, 2019. On May 16, 2019 the entry fee shall be $375 and NO DISCOUNT COUPONS will be accepted.
- The team Captain or at least one team member MUST be present at the Captain’s Meeting and Rule Review at 7:00 PM on Thursday, May 16th 2019 at the American Legion Post 338, 860 NJ-36, Leonardo, NJ.
- A final team roster and declaration of team vessel must be submitted at the Captain’s Meeting.
- There are NO REFUNDS of Entry Fees or deposits for entry- Ever.
- In the event the tournament is cancelled, or no eligible Striped Bass are landed, the Tournament Prize winners will be determined by random draw.
- In the event that no qualifying fish is caught in a Calcutta by an eligible team, a refund of calcutta fees for that specific calcutta shall be refunded (minus the 10% donation to the charity) to the teams that entered that calcutta.
- In the event only one qualifying fish is caught by an eligible team in a specific calcutta, the team that weighs in the qualified fish shall be declared the winner and the second-place percentage (30%) shall be rolled into the first place winnings- This shall effectively change the Calcutta Prize Distribution to 90% winner – 10% to Charity.
- Teams must comply with all State, Federal and Marine Fishery laws and regulations regarding fishing, the equipping and operation of their vessel.
- All qualifying teams must arrive by water with their catch no later than 6 PM to qualify for Any Prize as outlined in the schedule.
- You can leave from any port in NJ/NY (within 60 nautical miles of the tip of sandy hook) but must weigh in at the official Tournament Weigh Station to qualify for any prize.
- All fish must be caught by rod and reel and be of legal size
- Any boat outside the 3-mile line at any point of the tourney will be disqualified from the tournament.
- Any 1 team can only qualify for 1 tournament prize but can win unlimited Calcuttas.
- This is a TEAM Name not a Boat Name tournament and all prizes will be handed out to qualifying TEAM Captain as listed on the Official Team Entry Form.
- All fish weighed are subject to inspection and may be retained on demand by the tournament committee for verification. In the event the tournament committee is suspect the weighed fish has been preserved or caught outside of the rules of the tournament, prizes may, at tournament directors discretion, be withheld until determination of the validity of the catch.
- Thursday May 16th, 2019:
- 12:01 AM: Online entry and pre-registration discount ends. Discount coupons EXPIRE.
- 6:30 PM: Pre-registered Team Check-In opens at Captain’s Meeting
- 7:00 PM: Captain’s meeting begins “Last Chance” registration opens.
- 7:30 PM: First Rule Review – Teams that are registered my attend this rule review and leave right after.
- 8:30 PM: Second Rule Review- Teams may attend this reading of the rules and leave right after.
- Saturday May 18, 2019
- 6:00 AM: Lines-in
- 1:00 PM: Weigh Station Opens at Leonardo State Marina.
- 6:00 PM: The Weigh Station CLOSES- no fish will be weighed for competition from a team that has not been checked in through the weigh station prior to 6:00 PM *teams are considered "checked-in" if tournament committee is contacted via VHF radio on the designated tournament channel and advised a team vessel is heading toward the weigh-in AND a member of the tournament committee can visually confirm the team vessel is inside the Leonardo State Marina rock jetty.
- Sunday May 19, 2019
- Time: TBA Afterparty and Award presentation at PROVING GROUND Waterfront Dining, 67 Shrewsbury Ave, Highlands, NJ
- This tournament may be cancelled by the tournament committee in the event of a Gale warning posted for NY Harbor as of 5 AM on the morning of tournament. The tournament may be held cancelled or postponed at the tournament director’s discretion. Nothing herein shall require a team, or Captain to participate in the tournament against their first responsibility which is the safety of the team and vessel. The final determination for a team to leave the dock is that of the team captain.
HOW TO WIN:
Single Heaviest legal striped bass
Second Heaviest legal striped bass
Third Heaviest legal striped bass
For Calcutta, Lady Angler, JR Angler and Catch & Release Division see Prize List